Friday, June 3, 2011

The Luckiest ...

Yesterday, late in the evening, I went for a run. The air was lighter, and the sun was almost down. I tuned into my easy listening Pandora station and away I went. The first song to play on my Pandora radio was Norah Jones ,"Don't Know Why".

I thought to myself, "Hmm, maybe easy listening is not the way to go. We'll try this, but if James Blunt shows up...I'm changing the station."

I had made it about a half a mile by the end of the first song and I was depressed. Severely.


Before I go any further, I have to tell you about the park where I run. In the late evening it is beautiful. The trail that I run is one mile from one end to the other. In the late evening, running toward the west it's like looking into heaven. The sun is setting and it casts a soft, glow on everything. The simple beauty of the trees are magnified by the delicate, golden light.

One Adele, and one Lisa Loeb later, I cross the street, and am making my way to the trail when I hear Colbie Callait begin to sing,
"I miss those blue eyes...How you kiss me at night..."
I felt myself give an audible sigh, and my eyes rolled into the back of my head. I'm pretty sure I was talking to myself about what a terrible decision easy listening music was for running... The idea of easy listening music sounded great in my head, but after only three songs I realized, every song that played was not one I really wanted to hear.


 On the path where I run, people frequently walk their dogs, and there is an older couple that I see nearly every time I'm at the park.They have two dogs, a dalmation that is fifteen years old and another mutt-dog.  When I see them, I normally stop and visit for a few moments and pet their dogs, but yesterday's musical selections had me in a really grumpy mood, and I decided if I saw them that I wouldn't stop. In the distance I see my little elderly couple, but their dogs aren't with them. They are holding hands and walking along the path. In my ears I hear the last strain's of the Colbie Callait song, and through my headphones emerges the beautiful beginning of Ben Folds' "The Luckiest", and I'll be damned if it wasn't almost fairytale like.

So, while I had not intended to stop and chat...I stopped anyway, and watched. They were talking, and laughing, and it looked like she was telling him about her day. Her free hand was moving around wildly in these grand gestures. After a moment, they both laughed and he brought their intertwined hands to his mouth and kissed the back of hers. There was something about the scene before me. Maybe it was the combination of the beautiful music or the golden light... but, even as I type this I'm realizing it was the comfort and ease that the two had fallen into. The rhythm of their steps, their even gates as they made their way down the path. The way she picked lint from his shirtsleeve, or the way he patted her on the back to let her know her shoe was untied. I'm a little embarassed to admit this, but I followed them around the loop.

Last night, I realized that being in love is more than just wanting someone and it's more than a physical desire. Love is more than friendship and companionship.While I think that the afforementioned characteristics are a vital part to falling in love with someone, they aren't the base or foundation of lasting relationships. I don't know a better way to describe it other than this:

If people stop in their tracks because you and your beloved are exuding micro-love waves then you are most definitely doing something right.




No comments:

Post a Comment