Friday, June 17, 2011

Simple Elegance

I am the kind of person who is easily pleased.

Little things, like… new sheets or finding a forgotten five dollars in a pair of jeans while doing laundry.

Simple moments of sheer delight that just make the world a little brighter.

In addition to being easily pleased...I’m also a creature of habit:
Same breakfast every morning, followed by a cup of coffee, followed by a nice, relaxing poop.
The same activities. Just a different day.

Routine.
In short, my life is boring. Most of the time, nothing life-changing happens to me.

This is why I find such delight in the little surprises that life brings us.

Examples:

1.) Trying on a pair of jeans I haven’t worn in six months only to discover that they are too big.
2.) Digging through the medicine cabinet in search of the Vagisil, and finding an unopened box of bath fizzies.
3.) Finding the remote after two weeks of manually changing the channel?
 
Today, like any other day of my life, was mundane. Routine. Monotonous. Humdrum.

And then, as I was leaving the coffee shop, I felt my foot graze something, and I heard
 it roll across the tile with this metallic click.

I glance down, and what do I find?

A pen! It was a pen! But not just any pen. It’s the kind of pen that has eight different color ink options at the top.
I didn’t even think they made these anymore. I asked everyone at the shop if it was their pen, and they all said no. ..So, you know… Finders keepers and all that.

I remember in school these were the pens that everyone had to have, and we would write each letter of our names in a different color.

Writing your name with this pen was an all day activity.
Today’s nice surprise was being reminded of a time when things were simple.
A time when my biggest worry was what to eat at lunchtime.
Turning my math in when it was due.
Staying outside until the street lights came on.
The smell of freshly cut grass.
 Keeping my farts in all day at school so kids wouldn’t make fun of me.

You know, little things like that.

It’s funny how the strangest things take you back.

1 comment: