Sunday, July 17, 2011

Conversations With Abby

This conversation took place last night while I was working on my costumes for the play.

Abby: Mom. Whatcha doing?

Me: Oh you know, just working on my costumes for the play. What's up?

Abby: (sigh) Nothing.

Me: Abby, are your feelings hurt?

Abby: (bigger sigh) I guess they're okay...They would be better feelings if we had some of Sammy's cake.

I freeze.
 REO Speedwagon and a montage of all that various times I've eaten cake begin to roll through my mind:

"And even as I wander,
I'm keeping you in sight.
You're a candle in the window,
On a cold, dark winter's night.
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might....AND I CAN"T FIGHT THIS FEELING ANYMORE
!"

I'm shaken from my daydream by Abby's sweet little voice.
Abby: Momma, Mom...But there's no cake. I guess there is something else that will help my feelings.

Me: What's that?

Abby: When you hold me and I hug you and I smell your hair. It smells beautiful.

Once again, my child just melts my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment