Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Abby Turns Five

Five years ago today, I gave birth to my lovely daughter, Abigail MaeLynne Hicks.

It's amazing how time just slips through your fingers, like grains of sand. It seems like it was only yesterday that I resembled a swollen manatee laying in a hospital bed, awaiting the arrival of my tiny, little newborn.

Abigail was born at 9:16 in the evening and weighed 7 lbs 6 ounces, and was 19 inches long. She looked like an angry, red butterball turkey with a head full of shocking, jet-black hair. She came out screeching and with a deformed head, but I, of course, thought she was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen.

When I think about the last five years they swirl through my head in a blur of beautiful moments...

Abby in her baby swing, laughing at Jerry. Taking her first steps. Brushing her teeth by herself for the first time. Seeing Christmas lights. Reading stories. Chasing bubbles. Tucking her in, and singing her songs. The way she used to play with her belly button when she was nervous. Seeing her hold Sammy for the first time. Birthdays. Haircuts. Spankings.  Her first day of school.
Part of me wishes that I could just pause this moment. Hold her so tightly and never let go. Keep her five forever. Smelling like sunshine and sweetness for eternity, with her tiny hands and sweetest brown eyes. Eyes that are still blind to the injustice and scariness of the world. Eyes that still see each day with wonder and curiosity.

There is another part of me that can't wait to see the amazing young woman I know that she will grow to be. There is a comfort in knowing that not only am I raising a daughter...I am creating a deeper bond; A friendship, rooted in the greatest kind of love there is.
My daughter is a remarkable human being, she has changed me in more ways than I can describe and I love her more than she will ever know.

The happiest of birthdays to my sweet, Abby. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment