Monday, May 21, 2012

Ten Things I Know To Be True

Every writer will suffer from writer's block from time to time. One can turn the computer on, stretch their fingers and just never seem to find the perfect words to begin their story. Fortunately, I have discovered the precise thing to negate this problem...truth.

When one writes about things they know to be true, it is often found, even the most mundane things can be interesting. Now, when I say, "things they know to be true"; it is not necessary for the writing topics to be a proven fact, only that they be true to the writer. Thus, here are ten things that I, Lucy Hicks, know to be true.


1.) It doesn't matter how old I get...I still hold onto the hope that one day, I will be a figure skater.
(Nevermind the fact that I've never been ice skating or that I lack any kind of natural grace...it could still happen!)

2.) Port-a-Potties are scary, smelly places, and I refuse to use them for two reasons:
            a.) They are gross.
            b.) I have this recurring nightmare about being inside of one when someone gets a wild hair to tip over a Port-a-Potty. Poo EVERYWHERE.


3.) All women, eventually, turn into their mother...and here's why: Our mothers curse us. They curse us when they say, "I hope when you have a child that they act exactly like you." So what happens? The first thing we say when we find out we're pregnant? It's almost like a promise to our little zygote: I'm not going to be anything like MY mother.
Yes. We say that and then, our children treat us the way we treated our mothers!
They drive us to the brink of our sanity and THEY turn us into our mothers. So, in essence, we all turn into our mothers eventually, but don't worry... it is not our fault.

4.) Copious amounts of birthday cake will make almost any bad day, better.

5.) I have experienced extreme humiliation on more than one occasion. Probably, most of it was self inflicted.
I have photo evidence that at one time in my life I not only owned pleather pants, I also wore them...a lot.
The result of this is...I have no shame. I have very little to hide, and lack any kind of internal filter between my brain and my mouth.

6.) I try really hard to be a good mother, and I've learned something:

At the end of the day, if you've: kissed your children, fed your children, clothed them, made their beds, picked up their toys, applied band aids and read stories. You've done your job... and if you make it through the day without purposely tripping them when they run through the house, or run them over with the shopping cart when they are being bad in the grocery store, or screaming at the top of your lungs, "BECAUSE I SAID SO!"
You not only did your duty as a mother, you showed restraint and for that... you get cake.

7.) There are people who will pass through your life who are only meant to be there for a short time. It happens. People change. Relationships change...even friendships change. Dwelling on this won't change anything, it will only make you feel like shit.

8.) Anytime I find myself envious of the way other women look I remind myself of one thing:

Almost every woman in the world that has carried, birthed and nursed a child will have stretchmarks, and little black hairs that grow around their nipples. It's all due to horomone changes, and it can't be helped...BUT IT HAPPENS...to everyone. Even the ladies that appear to have perfect bodies will have little black hairs growing around their nipples. (The truth isn't always pretty, folks. Funny...but not always pretty.)

9.) I've come to realize, regardless of how many thought provoking stories I write, books I hope to publish, beautiful photographs I take, or stage plays I perform in... I could win a Pulitzer, and to some people, I will only be remembered as "the girl who dated a teacher that one time."
To this I say, "C'est la vie."


10.) Life is scary. I always find it funny to hear that people are afraid of dying, when in reality...it's the living that can be scary. If you're really living...taking chances...wearing your heart on your sleeve...enjoying your life as you live it...Life can be the scariest thing of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment