Friday, August 24, 2012

Momma's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Bigots!


I am a Liberal. The word liberal is defined as: 

 a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

I have never had an unexpressed thought in my life, and I don't intend to.
 
I believe our society has been greatly inhibited by people feeling too oppressed to say what they feel, or to voice what they believe.
 
I believe that using religious beliefs to belittle or hurt a specific group of people is wrong.
 
I believe that using a specific religious belief (that caters to one religion), in a country that was founded on religious freedoms, to make laws against a specific group of people is wrong.
 
I believe in free expression.
 
I believe that Gandhi was right when he said, "An eye for an eye will only leave the whole world blind."
 
I believe there is no normal; no status quo.
 
I believe that the Earth is over four and a half billion years old.
 
I believe in having Faith in things you can't see, but things you can feel, in your heart.
 
I believe in helping people when they need it because it's the right thing to do.
 
I believe there is not a single person on this Earth that should be valued over another.
 
 I believe that people worry too much about preventing abortions, and not enough about the children that are dying from lack of food, water and medicine; even as I type these words.
 
 I believe in the power of hope, and the fruit of generosity.
 
 I believe the world is a vast and varied place, made of all different types of people.

 I believe those differences are what make heroes out of everyday people.
 
 Above everything, I believe that the most powerful civil right we have is our right to free speech.

I will not stop expressing myself, or begin to censor my ideas. If you don't like what I have to say, fine.
 
That's like...your opinion, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment