Saturday, September 15, 2012

High School Reunions: They Don't Always Suck Ass


     So, it's here...My ten year high school reunion is just around the corner. I know it's been sort of lying in wait, taunting me and resting in the back of my mind, but when I recieved a Facebook notification informing me I'd been invited to join the group "Dickson Class of 2003 Alumni 10 Year Reunion", it was...a big, fucking wake up call.

I've been out of high school for ten years.

I then started to wonder why in the hell people wanted to go back to their high school experience? My high school experience was not so great, AND...I have a news flash for you:

If you are one of those people who enjoyed high school, one of those people who peaked in high school or one of those people that say,"High school, now those were the days." ...
I'm going to clue you in on a little secret:

There are a lot of people who don't like you, think you are bat-shit crazy and laugh when they hear that you've gained weight.  (I speak the truth, people.)

My high school experience started in the year 2000; a time when people wore pleather pants, velveteen choker necklaces and Doc Martin boots with sundresses.
We were quoting "American Pie" movies, and listening to bands like Maroon 5.

(Frankly, I think that's a time all of us want to forget.)
When talks first came up that our ten year reunion was upon us, I was the first to say, "Fuck that. I have kept in touch with the people I want to see, and if I want to know anything about the other people I went to school with, I will creep on their Facebook pages."
However, as per usual, my curiosity took over my good sense, and I agreed to go to the pre-reunion-reunion.

It was dinner, and then a football game.

Easy peasey.
I could do that.

Dinner was really nice. I had sort of been dreading it, actually...but it turned out to be a really small group of people.

It was a social outcast's dream, as far as reunions go.

 All of the people sitting around the table were people that I've kept in close contact with.
We laughed, had a nice dinner and those who had not seen each other in a while, were given a chance to catch up. Then, the football game adventure began:

It was, as several of us mentioned, like walking into the Twilight Zone.

We were sort of back at our high school football field, but we weren't.

The feeling is hard to explain, but anyone who has walked onto their high school campus a decade after being gone, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Seeing the changes that have taken place, but noticing how so many things have stayed the same.

For instance, my high school has paved all of the parking lots, erected this huge gazebo thingy at the entrance of the football field, but have failed to replace those shitty, shitty bleachers that have been there for longer than I've been alive.

 The cheerleaders still wear too much make-up, the marching band still has the weird kids who walk in an air of their own coolness and there is still that group of teenagers going to football games for the sole purpose of making fun of those who participate in the festivities.

There weren't many of us who attended this pre-reunion-reunion, and personally...I think it's great.

 It's my opinion to always take quality over quantity, and I'm sure there are some people who, (even as adults) will make me want to stab myself in the eyeball with a toothpick upon first, "Long time no see"- greeting.

So, that's that.
We reunioned.
No one got too drunk, there were no fist fights and our team ended up winning the game.

Yay.

(I didn't stay for the end of the game, but they were way ahead when I left so I'm just assuming we won.)


So, now...we wait until June.
I can only imagine that as the day draws near, girls will start fasting in an attempt to lose those few extra pounds that have snuck up on all of us.
The nice clothes will be purchased, jewelry will polished and it will be a huge parade of "Oh my god, look at me...look at me."   (Gag me with a freakin' spoon)

I intend to go to the reunion, see some old faces and survey the scene.

I mean, let's face it, you can't buy the kind of writing material that class reunions are bound to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment