Wednesday, December 26, 2012

An Open Letter: To The Bitches Who Were Mean To Me In High School

This is an open letter to all of the bitches who were mean to me in high school.

Hi.

Suprise!

So, I survived high school.
Whew!

I survived the mean looks, gaggles of gossip and cold shoulders.

As you paraded through the halls with your boyfriend's letter jacket, make-up that was applied via a garden trowel and your flippant use of the word, "like";

I clutched my books to my chest and navigated my way through the crowded hallways.

Trying desperately to avoid attention.

I was several different things in high school:

The new girl.
The poor girl.
The loud girl.
The girl who is friends with that girl.
The girl who might be a lesbian.
The girl who dated a teacher.


That was a lot for a person to be when all I wanted to be was the girl who blended into the scenery.

I started wearing solid color T-shirts and jeans because I figured.. it is really hard to make fun of a solid color T-shirt.

But I must give credit where it is due because... you creative ho-bags figured out a way to do it.
While you all attended parties, ball games and bitch gatherings;

I found solace in a world of words.

The books that I clutched tightly to my chest like a shield in the hallway became my escape.
I found friends within the spines of old books and thoughts put to paper decades before.

I read Camus, Voltaire and Thoreau.
I journeyed to a land of thought and philosophy.

When I would encounter disdain from your group of vacuous airheads, I would remember Camus and his words of wisdom:

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer."



I expanded my vocabulary, and discovered myself slowly caring less about the looks of disdain in the hallway and the whispered words at lunchtime.

If I could go back, and tell my younger self something important I would tell her:

"This isn't all there is. You see the curly haired girl? She won't be a size two forever...in fact, she's
gonna get fat. I mean...real fat. 

You see her? The girl who uses single syllable words and erroneously uses the word epic? In eight years, you will see her trip and fall in the mall parking lot. Trust me, this isn't all there is."
So, to all of the bitches who were mean to me in high school I would like to say, "Thank you."

My thick skin isn't an inherent quality, it's a learned one.

You taught me about how people can change and how terribly sad it is when they never do.

Most of all, you all taught me how strong I am and how important words are.

The impact you can leave on people.

The way you can change the world.

So, thank you.

You mean ass bitches taught me more than you know.









1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I can't tell you how pleasing it was to read all that. I can very much relate. Even to this day. I should do one of these, if only for myself.

    ReplyDelete